School Support Team (SST)
What is the SST?
The School Support Team meets monthy (see dates below). At these meetings students are openly discussed in the presence of professionals from Special Education, Psychology, Social Work, the school administration team, guidance and the special education resource teachers. So, if you have a student who may require additional support services refer them to the Special Education Department or one of the school administrators for conference.
The SST staff assist the teacher with ideas on how to support a student and meet the student’s special needs. They can also recommend referrals for additional professional assessments. Each service is able to assist in the following specific ways:
- Psychologists are able to suggest effective classroom programming interventions and behaviour management techniques, especially for high-needs or at-risk students. They provide information about learning profiles, mental health issues and behavioural strategies.
- Social Workers and Child and Youth Services Staff contribute expertise regarding the connections between social/emotional development, mental health, family involvement and student achievement.
- Speech and Language Pathologists (SLP) offer specialized knowledge and resources regarding the connections between communication, social development, literacy and learning.
- Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists (OT/PT) contribute specialized knowledge of physical and developmetal disabilities and sensory integration disorders. They can explain the effect of medical health issues on learning and provide curriculum and programming suggestions to support student achievement. They can also make suggestions for enviromental modifications and accommodations to enable the full participation of students in school.
- Before Professional Support Services staff can be consulted about or work with a student, the informed consent of parents/guardians, or of the student him/herself (when of legal age and with the cognitive ability to understand), is required.
Please note, the above information is sourced by the TDSB; for further details please click here.
SST Meeting Dates
Individual Educational Plan (IEP): The IEP document will be sent home on October 18, 2016
Student IEP’s can be viewed online here but you must be on the TDSB network and use Internet Explorer as your browser. Please follow the following steps to conduct an individual student search:
On the SAP Home page, under the Search heading, select Search for SE Case
In the Description field, enter the student’s first and laslt name, Click Search
Under CASE ID, click the blu hyperlink in the results section
In the SE Case Transactions section, refer to the Transaction Type column and click on the associated blue hyperlink under Transaction Description to view the most current IEP